COSTA RICA BIODIVERSITY & BEACHES
15 Days Itinerary
15 Days Itinerary
DAY 1. SAN JOSÉ, COSTA RICA (20 MINUTES)
Welcome to San José, Costa Rica. Amazing biodiversity and heavenly beaches fill our two-week trip to the Caribbean and Pacific coasts, to see two live volcanoes, cloud forest and jungle. We will meet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel. You can explore the capital city with its theaters, museums and beautiful parks. Or, simply sit in a café and enjoy a cup of Costa Rican coffee while you watch the daily life of the “Ticos”. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
DAY 2. SAN JOSÉ – SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN (4, 50 HOURS)
Breakfast at the hotel. Today you will drive through the majestic Braulio Carrillo National Park, with its lush green vegetation and forest, on your way to the Caribbean side of the country. Your destination is the Southern Caribbean Coast, home to Costa Rica’s Afro-Caribbean culture. The town of Puerto Viejo features an amazing combination of colors and flavors. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. The southern Caribbean region has some of the best beaches in the country. The Cahuita National Park is known for its excellent diving and snorkeling around coral reefs to see beautiful marine life. Another experience that you should not miss is to enjoy a typical Caribbean lunch or dinner. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. Very early in the morning, we will head to the Tortuguero National Park. Your journey will take you through small towns and extensive banana and pineapple plantations, until you arrive at the pier where your boat to Tortuguero will depart. You will travel along rivers and canals about 90 minutes to the hotel, providing an excellent opportunity to see wildlife and the jungle scenery. After lunch, there is a visit to the village of Tortuguero. Dinner is included at the hotel. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. In the morning, you will take a boat tour through the Tortuguero National Park canals. Tortuguero is famous for being the habitat of five species of sea turtles, and a great diversity of birds, amphibians and other animals. After lunch, you have free time to stroll and enjoy the surroundings of the hotel. We recommend the optional night excursion to see turtle nesting (July to Sept). Dinner is included at the hotel. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. This morning, we will journey back through the canals to reach the pier where your ground transportation will meet you. Awaiting you today in the Northern Plains is the impressive Arenal Volcano, a natural wonder with an iconic cone-shaped crater. Along the way there, you will see plantations of various agricultural crops, ornamental plants, and cattle ranches until you reach the town of La Fortuna. The town is worth visiting to walk and to have lunch or dinner. Your hotel is strategically located to appreciate the volcano. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. Resorts with natural hot springs and spas are one of the greatest attractions to enjoy in the Arenal region. Other top activities include: visiting the Arenal Volcano National Park, zip line tours, suspension bridges, aerial tram tours, hiking and horseback riding tours to the La Fortuna Waterfall, and water activities on Lake Arenal. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. Our transfer to the Monteverde Cloud Forest will be a combination of land, water, and land again. This option is the best way to travel from La Fortuna to Monteverde. Our minibus will pick you up at your hotel to take you to Lake Arenal, where you will board a motorized boat to cross Lake Arenal to Rio Chiquito. Then, another minibus will take you to your hotel in beautiful Monteverde. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today is a free day. Monteverde is globally recognized for its cloud forest that extends on both sides of the Continental Divide. Currently, there are two reserves in the area: the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve and the Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve. You will be amazed at the area’s diversity and rich nature while walking along the numerous trails in either reserve. In the higher parts of the forest, there exists what is called “natural Elfin Forest” – the climate is such that the tallest trees do not exceed 10 meters. There are many activities in the area to complement your visit: adventure zip line tours, hanging bridges, hummingbird gardens, butterfly gardens, a Serpentarium (one of the best in the country), a nocturnal wildlife tour, horseback riding, a cheese tour (cheeses made in Monteverde are the best in Costa Rica), etc. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today we will travel from the cloud forest to the northern Pacific region and the Rincón de la Vieja Volcano. This region features a warm climate, tropical dry forest, vast savannas, beautiful ranches, and the Rincón de la Vieja Volcano with its exotic bubbling clay pools, fumaroles and natural hot springs. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today is a free day to visit the Rincón de la Vieja National Park, dominated by two volcanoes and divided into two sections: Las Pailas and Santa Maria. The Las Pailas section includes the active volcano, Rincón de la Vieja, featuring fumaroles, bubbling mud pools, and a large number of waterfalls. Or, you can enjoy many adventure activities in the area: canyoning, a canopy zip line tour, horseback riding, river tubing, hiking and bird watching. Close the day watching a dramatic sunset. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. This morning, you will travel from the Guanacaste Plains to the northern Pacific, with its beautiful white sand beaches and a spectacular always-sunny climate that lets you enjoy world-class sportfishing, surfing, diving, and sailing. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. Today you have many different activities available in the area: visit the Palo Verde National Park, the Rincon de la Vieja National Park, beach activities, canopy zip line tours, horseback riding, etc. You can also experience Costa Rican traditions like visiting an artisan village where they make indigenous crafts from clay, listening to the music of the “marimba” and relishing a delicious traditional dinner. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. You have the day at leisure to enjoy the facilities of your hotel, the beautiful beaches of Guanacaste, and the many activities available here. Accommodation: the hotel of your choice.
Breakfast at the hotel. Transfer to the airport. You must be at the airport three hours before your flight departs. If your flight leaves from the Liberia International Airport, your transfer will take about an hour depending on the location of your hotel. If your flight leaves from the San Jose International Airport, your transfer will take about five hours. If your flight leaves before 2:00 PM, you will require a private transfer for an additional charge. If you chose to rent a car, you will return your vehicle to the car rental agency by the airport; their shuttle will take you to the airport. Happy return trip home! We hope to have you visit us again.
San José 1 Night / Southern Caribbean 2 Nights / Tortuguero 2 Nights/ Arenal Volcano 2 Nights / Monteverde 2 Nights / Rincón De La Vieja 2 Nights / Guanacaste Beaches 3 Nights
- Transfer in from the airport to the hotel
- 1 night accommodation at the hotel of your choice in San Jose. Breakfast included
- Regular or private transfer from San José to Puerto Viejo- Cahuita
- 2 nights’ accommodation at the hotel of your choice in Puerto Viejo or Cahuita. Breakfasts are included
- Regular ground transfer from Puerto Viejo
- Cahuita to the pier at La Pavona or Caño Blanco
- 2 nights & 3 days package accommodation at the hotel of your choice in Tortuguero, with full board included
- Regular excursion: Hike in the Tortuguero Village
- Regular excursion: Hike in the private trails of the hotel
- Regular excursion: Boat excursion through the Tortuguero Canals
- Entrance fee to the Tortuguero National Park
- Regular boat transfer from the hotel to the pier at La Pavona or Caño Blanco
- Regular ground transfer from the pier at La Pavona or Caño Blanco to Guapiles
- Regular or private transfer from Guápiles to Arenal Volcano
- 2 nights’ accommodation at the hotel of your choice in Arenal. Breakfasts are included
- Regular or private transfer from Arenal to Monteverde
- 2 nights’ accommodation at the hotel of your choice in Monteverde. Breakfasts are included
- Regular or private transfer from Monteverde to Rincón de la Vieja
- 2 nights’ accommodation at the hotel of your choice in Rincón de la Vieja. Breakfasts are included
- Regular or private transfer from Rincón de la Vieja to the Guanacaste beaches
- 2 nights’ accommodation at the hotel of your choice in Guanacaste. Breakfast included
- Regular or private transfer from Guanacaste to the International Airport
- For the rent a car option: 9 days of rent a car in a Hyundai Tucson 4×2 con basic insurances included. The car will be deliver on the day 6 of the program when day go out from Tortuguero
- Sales tax
- Infants from 0-5 years are free of charge
- Children from 6-12 years – apply the children’s rate. Maximum 2 children sharing the room with their parents
- Activities not indicated on program
- Country departure tax (US $29.00 per person)
- Full cover insurance
Requisites for Rental Car:
- Valid driver’s license. The foreign license is valid in Costa Rica for 90 days from the date of entry into the country
- Minimum driver age 21 years
- The driver must carry a day driver’s license of the country of origin
- The driver must present a passport
- The driver must present credit card ( AMEX , VISA , MASTER CARD) original and available for the security deposit ($ 750 approximately)