10 Days Birding Tour
COSTA RICA BIRD’S PARADISE
COSTA RICA BIRD’S PARADISE
DAY 1. SAN JOSÉ/HEREDIA, COSTA RICA (40 MINUTES)
Welcome to San José, Costa Rica. With 903 bird species recorded in the country, Costa Rica has the most birds in Central America and is a renowned bird-watching paradise. We will meet you at the airport and transfer you to Hotel Bougainvillea. Located on the outskirts of the capital city of San Jose, in the area of Santo Domingo de Heredia, Hotel Bougainvillea is renowned for its beautiful and extensive gardens full of colorful flowers and lush plants. These gardens have become a favorite place for sighting resident and migratory birds. Accommodation: Hotel Bougainvillea.
DAY 2. HEREDIA – SARAPIQUI (TROPICAL RAINFOREST) – 2 HOURS
This morning, we will enjoy a beautiful dawn to hear the birds sing. Our first scheduled activity of the day starts off with this marvelous show while we bird watch around the hotel. After a delicious Costa Rican breakfast, we will transfer to the Sarapiquí tropical rainforest, crossing beautiful valleys and mountains full of picturesque villages along the way. Besides incredible bird watching, there are many activities available in the area. Accommodation: Selva Verde Lodge with full board.
You will wake up to the singing of the birds and the relaxing sounds of the tropical rainforest. We will start the day with a tour of the hotel’s trails and gardens, and then enjoy a delicious breakfast at the lodge. Today you will engage in activities related to bird watching in the afternoon and at dusk. During the rest of the day you can take part in other tourist activities in the area, which can be arranged by prior request or once you are at the destination. Accommodation: Selva Verde Lodge with full board.
Breakfast at the hotel. This morning we will transfer to the Northern Plains with its impressive Arenal Volcano, one of the natural wonders of the country. During our drive, you will see plantations of various agricultural crops, ornamental plants, and cattle ranches until we reach the town of La Fortuna. If you get the chance, this is a lovely town to walk around and visit stores selling locally-made souvenirs. Your hotel is strategically located in the heart of the Arenal Volcano National Park, where more than 500 species of birds have been recorded in over 350 hectares (865 acres) of private reserve and trails. Accommodation: Arenal Observatory Lodge with full board.
We will once again enjoy a beautiful dawn, rising to singing birds and starting our first scheduled activity with a walk around the hotel grounds. Afterward, a delicious Costa Rican breakfast awaits us at the lodge. This area by the Arenal Volcano is famous for its diversity of walking trails, lookouts, and the likelihood of crossing paths with animals, especially monkeys, sloths, coatis, raccoons, and many species of birds. Spas with natural hot springs are one of the greatest attractions to enjoy in the Arenal region. Additionally, there are a number of other activities to try: hiking in the Arenal Volcano National Park, canopy zip line tours, hanging bridges tours, aerial trams, hiking or horseback riding to the La Fortuna Waterfall, and water activities on Lake Arenal. All of these can be arranged for an additional charge. Accommodation: Arenal Observatory Lodge with full board.
Breakfast at the lodge. Today we will go to the Central Pacific region of Costa Rica. On the way, we will cross impressive rainforest until we descend to the coast. Here, we will stay in the vicinity of one of the most important national parks in the area, Carara National Park. Carara is a natural biological corridor between dry and humid forest and hosts a great diversity of birds, besides other animals and insects. Accommodation: Villa Lapas Rainforest Eco-Resort with full board.
After a morning walk through the hotel gardens, we will enjoy a wonderful breakfast. Then we will visit the Carara National Park, which in the local Huetar indigenous language means “River of crocodiles”, due to the park’s proximity to the crocodile-filled Tarcoles River. Carara has the only transitional forest of the Central Pacific, where dry forest and humid forest species converge, and it offers a wide diversity of flora and fauna. This national park is a world-famous ornithological destination because it has such varied birdlife. It is home to a large population of wild Scarlet Macaws (Ara Macao), an endangered species and the second largest of the true parrots (family Psittacidae) in Costa Rica. Accommodation: Villa Lapas Rainforest Eco-Resort with full board.
Breakfast at the hotel. This morning we will journey along the southern Pacific Coast and then ascend to one of the highest regions in the Central Mountain Range, where virgin cloud forest is home to a variety of endemic birds from Costa Rica and western Panama. Today we will do two bird-watching activities, one at the end of the afternoon and another later in the evening to observe unique species of nocturnal birds in the area. Accommodation: Trogón Lodge with full board.
Today you will awaken at an altitude of 2,200 meters (7,218 feet) above sea level, surrounded by a virtually virgin ecology amid dazzling flowers with marvelous colors and centenarian oak trees. We will start the day with a tour of the hotel’s paths and gardens and then have breakfast at the lodge. The rest of the day will be spent enjoying the area. Accommodation: Trogón Lodge with full board.
Breakfast at the lodge. This morning we will transfer to the San Jose International Airport. We will arrive 3 hours before your flight departure time. We wish you a happy return trip home, and hope to have you visit us again.
San José 1 Night / Sarapiqui 2 Nights / Arenal Volcano 2 Nights / Central Pacific 2 Nigths/ San Gerardo De Dota 2 Nights
- Private transfer from the San José International Airport to Hotel Bougainvillea.
- 1 night accommodation in Hotel Bougainvillea – Heredia, breakfast included.
- Ground car transfer from Heredia to Sarapiquí.
- 2 nights’ accommodation in Selva Verde Lodge breakfast included.
- Ground car transfer from Sarapiquí to Arenal Volcano.
- 2 nights’ accommodation in Arenal Observatory Lodge with breakfast included.
- Ground car transfer from Arenal Volcano to the Central Pacific.
- 2 nights’ accommodation in Villa Lapas Rainforest Eco-Resort, near the Carara National Park, breakfast included.
- Visit and walk in the Carara National Park.
- Ground car transfer from the Central Pacific to San Gerardo de Dota.
- 2 nights’ accommodation in Trogon Lodge with breakfast included.
- Ground car transfer from San Gerardo de Dota to the San José International Airport.
- Sales tax
- Rental car includes: 10 days Ssangyong Korando 4×4 car or similar with mandatory basic insurance. The car is delivered from day 02 of the program
- Sales tax
- Infants from 0 to 3 years old do not pay
- Child rate applies from 4 to 12 years. Maximum 2 children sharing room with their parents
- Activities not indicated on program
- Car rental full cover insurance
Car Rental Requirements:
- Valid driver’s license. The foreign license is valid in Costa Rica for 90 days from the date of entry into the country
- Minimum driver age 21 years
- The driver must carry a day driver’s license of the country of origin
- The driver must present a passport
- The driver must present credit card ( AMEX , VISA , MASTER CARD) original and available for the security deposit ($ 750 approximately)